This planning effort is based on best available data, existing sustainability and planning initiatives, and current strategic Village goals and objectives. As a result, the following “Guiding Principles” have driven this planning effort:
- The time is now to begin adaption planning and implementation. We can adjust and make improvements into the future as more information becomes available.
- Incorporate adaptation into existing Village programs and initiatives including procurement, design of capital improvements, land acquisition/management, and planning decisions.
- Engage the public in adaption decisions.
- Educate Village stakeholders, including the public and business communities, as better science and Islamorada-specific data becomes available.
- Use the best available science for decision-making and adaption actions.
- Balance protection of homes, infrastructure and conservation of natural resources.
- Strive for equity in selection of adaptation measures benefitting as many people as possible.
- Funding options should be user-related, as appropriate.